A thread lift is a non-surgical method of skin rejuvenation that makes use of medical-grade threads or sutures to create a lifting effect on your skin. In addition to this rejuvenating effect, the threads also provoke your body’s natural healing response and stimulate the production of collagen in the treated areas. This ensures that the results will continue to improve over time. If you are considering this procedure to address the signs of skin ageing on your face and neck, you would love to know more about its benefits. Read on to find out more.
Short Recovery Time
Unlike a facelift which requires 4 weeks of recovery time, a thread lift only needs 2 to 3 days of downtime. You will likely experience soreness and swelling in the treated area but this is tolerable and can be relieved with the application of ice packs. After 2 weeks, you can expect a complete recovery from the procedure. However, you should expect the final results to become noticeable after 2 to 3 months.
While the recovery time after a thread lift is short, you need to adhere to the following post-treatment instructions to achieve the best clinical outcome:
- Apply ice packs on the treated area.
- Avoid anything that can pull or dislodge the threads.
- Avoid applying makeup or facial creams for 48 hours.
- Avoid chewing gum for 2 weeks.
- Avoid extreme temperatures such as saunas or hot baths.
- Avoid getting a facial massage.
- Do not apply lotion on the treated area for 48 hours.
- Do not engage in strenuous activities.
- Do not massage or scrub the area for 3 weeks.
- Do not use a straw to drink water or any beverage.
- Do not wet or touch the treated area for at least 12 hours after the procedure.
- Eat soft foods in the first few weeks.
- You can expect to return to work after 1 week.
During your consultation, you will be provided with complete thread lift details for you to gain more understanding of the procedure.
Results Continue to Improve Over Time
A thread lift can help restore the youthful look of your skin in different areas such as your jawline, brow line, under-eye area, cheeks, and forehead. During the procedure, a special type of needle called a cannula is used to insert the thread into your skin. The number of threads that will be used can range from 1 to 50 threads, depending on your desired results. The threads will be then be adjusted until the desired position is achieved. Once in position, the cannula will be removed slowly, leaving the threads in place. Immediately after the procedure, you will notice an improvement in the appearance of your face and neck but this is not yet the final result.
As time passes by, new blood vessels will form in the treated area and the production of collagen and elastin will significantly increase. Collagen helps fill the gaps in the sagging skin while elastin increases skin elasticity. Over time, the treated area will continue to become tighter, firmer, and healthier-looking.
Lower Risk of Complications
A thread lift has a lower risk of complications compared to facelift surgery. This is because of the following reasons:
- A thread lift is minimally invasive and does not require the use of large surgical incisions.
- The procedure makes use of FDA-approved medical-grade threads.
- The entire procedure is not complex compared to surgery.
- The procedure is only performed if you have minimal signs of skin ageing.
While a thread lift is considered a low-risk procedure, you may still experience some problems such as:
- Nerve damage
- Rippling or puckering of the skin
- Temporary bruising
- Thread breakage
- Unfavourable scarring
Immediately after the procedure, you can expect tighter and firmer skin. In the next 3 to 6 months, the results will continue to improve as the production of collagen and elastin significantly increases in the treated area. While the threads will dissolve after several months, you can expect the results to last for 1 to 3 years.
A thread lift has a lot of benefits to offer. It is recommended that you undergo a consultation to determine if these benefits are in line with the results you want to achieve.