There is something appetizing and beautiful about a well-put-together cheeseboard, and the one we had at a restaurant in Virginia called the Sam Snead Tavern (part of the lovely Homestead Resort) was no different. It was an “out of this world” ham and cheese board plate with a difference. The board featured some first-rate cheeses and Virginia ham, but what was truly divine and unforgettable was how they served apple butter with it— and they recommended putting the butter on the ham (of course, we also dipped our cheese in it). We will very much like to replicate the other delectable details on the board, namely, local pickles, dried cranberries, apricots, and walnuts.
Cheeseboards add luxury and indulgence to dinner nights, holidays, and just about any gathering that requires a delicious element! They are a feast for the eyes in the true sense of the word, and a delightful haven for the tummy. Plus, they are fun to assemble. And the icing on the cake? They hold something special for everyone and every taste. From crackers to bread, to sweet and savory treats, to cured meats to lots of cheese… Cheeseboards are the real deal! How about we take you through the rewarding process of assembling a premium cheeseboard? Ready? Let’s get working!
1. First things first, find a suitable board that will house all the cheesy assets. Wooden trays in round, square, or rectangular shapes are the first choice. But if you don’t have one, you can substitute it with a cutting board, plate, or a baking sheet.
2. Next, select your cheese with a discerning eye. You can enlist the services of a cheesemonger (you can find one in a specialty cheese shop) to help you choose the finest textures and flavors.
3. When your cheese is perfectly laid out, add some charcuterie aka cured meat. These include but not limited to Salami, Prosciutto, Chorizo and Sopressata.
4. Now introduce some savory and briny delights to the party. Think olives, roasted peppers, almonds, cashews, pickles, and roasted mustards.
5. There’s no savory without sweetness, so add dried fruits, honey, chocolate, chutney, and candied nuts.
6. Get a variety of crackers and slices of bread on the board because flour makes things better!
7. Last but not least, garnish with fruits, herbs, and edible flowers to finesse the board!
Attention: We have more amazing recipes for you on the blog, do check them out!
POSTED IN: FOOD · TAGGED: APPETIZERS, CHEESEBOARD, EASY ENTERTAINING, RESTAURANT