Lice is just a fact of elementary school life. There are always outbreaks in classes and getting it doesn’t mean that you, your children, or your house are “unkempt” as a friend of mine declared the other night. For those of us who don’t believe in putting chemicals on our children’s heads, here is the remedy as summed up by my friend Mariko:
1. A high quality metal comb (I highly recommend Nisska, which is hard to find but if you google search, you can find: www.nisska.com)
2. Gallons of Pantene conditioner
3. Thoroughly comb through a damp head covered with gobs of Pantene, small section by small section (add a sprinkling of baking powder if you are highly motivated). I comb through kids hair with a regular comb first to get out initial tangles and not to pollute brush, before going in with lice comb.
4. Wipe each comb through on a paper towel (closely survey results):look for actual critters and eggs
5. Repeat for 14 days (as often as you can in that time period,in the beginning, 2x daily, 1x daily after first week)
6. Wash all bedding, hats, towels, jackets, clothing. Put stuffed animals in dryer for 20 minutes or bag for 2 weeks.